top of page

What is a service?

We rely on our gas boilers, cookers and fires more than ever during winter to keep warm, have hot baths and showers and cook hot meals. It’s important that gas appliances are regularly serviced to help keep us safe and prevent them from breaking down when we need them the most. Be Gas Safe and don’t get left out in the cold this winter. Make sure you only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fix, fir or service your gas appliances including your:

  • Gas boiler
  • Gas cooker
  • Gas fire

Whilst a gas safety check assesses the basic safety of a gas appliance, a service will consist of a full check of a gas appliance and the Gas Safe engineer is likely to take the appliance apart to inspect it. The engineer will assess the physical condition of the appliance, installation pipework, air vents and any flues for deterioration. They will carry out performance tests and take any necessary remedial action.

Signs that your appliances need servicing?

Gas appliances should be serviced regularly but if you notice any of the warning signs below, you should arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer to service your appliance as soon as possible:

  • Your gas appliance is not working properly
  • Your appliance is burning with a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame
  • You can see black marks or stains on or around your gas appliance
  • The pilot light keeps going out
  • There is increased condensation in the room

What if my engineer identifies a problem with my gas appliance?

All Gas Safe registered engineers must follow the Gas Industry Unsafe Situations Procedure (GIUSP) when assessing the risks of an unsafe gas appliance. The guidance provides 'best practice' advise to Gas Safe registered engineers on how they should deal with various gas safety concerns which may affect your safety.

Gas Safety Records

After a Gas Safe registered engineer has fitted, carried out a safety check or serviced your gas appliance, they may leave you with a report which explains what checks they have completed. This report may be issued as a gas safety record, depending on the job you have asked them to do. It isn't always a legal requirement for your engineer to give you this type of information, but many Gas Safe registered engineers will provide one or something similar. We recommend you agree with your service provider before they complete the work what documentation you will receive.

bottom of page